Sunday, February 13, 2011

SHADY BREAK

SHADY BREAK $85 U.S.
Painted in Acrylic on " X " canvas.

How to Purchase: Buy this art! Send me an Email

Howdy,
I love longhorns! I love Buffalo, but not up close and in person. I have heard people say they wish that buffalo and other wild animals run wild again in west and central America. How stupid is that in my opinion.
If, I ask them, "Buffalo roamed freely. What would you do if a herd ran into and trough your garage? Nothing will stop them, nothing! What if they ran through your yard when your children were out playing?
It was rough and tough enough in N. Tex when the settlers were getting here and most of the explorers and trappers were just leaving or taking other occupation. Buffalo used to cross Red River, just about where Gainesville, Tx is now. And if you stood on the East side of the herd, as many did back then to observe. The buffalo ran for three days or more! You could not see the other side, west side, of the herd! And the wolves following them were in the hundreds of pounds weight. Think that is an exageration? There were rattlesnakes that were brough to town over 20 ft. (I saw a skin mounted on a 20 ft. long 2" x 8" board once) The people took herds of pigs to the rail head in Denison, TX, by driving them like cattle. The herds were sometimes of 2,000 or more.
The Red River flooded. Taking out rails, and in some cases, Trains! A president was born in Denison, Tx due to that. Although it steamed him and was a sense of embarressment to the family. He climed VA as his birthplace. The liar was (hint:) a general before he was president. (I once wore a button; "I like Ike" Yeah, I'm olern' dirt! :)
So it was more than tough back then. You had to do laundry today? Bad enough. But did you go to the well and draw 16 pails of water, then heat the water in a black vat using wood you chopped? And did you wash using lye soap you made earlier in that same vat using the drippings from the wood ash? Did you have to spread the laundry upon the bushes having no wire or rope good enough to use? Did you have a bear take you in the late evening while you gathered the laundry, as you had put that job off until after supper? It all happened folks, right here where I live today! (yeah, I not only love history, I write "western" :) (nothing but articles in magazines printed though.

Later,
Dan Bunch
TX

No comments:

Post a Comment