Friday, February 11, 2011

GIRL ROPES CALVES

GIRL ROPES CALVES  $55 U.S.
Painted in Acrylic on 9" X 12" 140 lb paper.

How to Purchase:

Send a cash donation to:
Dan Bunch
2236 Co. Rd. 314
Cleburne, TX
76031

Howdy,
You would think that a blabbermouth like me would not have much trouble blogging. Especially one that has already been posting in article sites in his own "space" for quite a while. But the fact is, my "genre" was politics. And to post a political column in amongst my art would, I believe, be the "kiss of death". I am as sure of that as I am that most shouldn't start conversations, nor encourage them, in polite gatherings. Like at family reunions. Oh! Your family reunions are not "polite"? Perhaps that is due to your talking about politics, or trying to start a conversation about politics at your family reunions!

Fact is, I haven't been to too many family reunions. I love em. But they are hard to get to now a days. A funny story comes to mind about family reunions. My father, deceased now so I can tell stories about him, once told me that there was a "bunch" reunion started years ago for the Bunch's around the Dallas Ft. Worth area. He said that he once traveled to attend it. He tried to tell me it was "so many miles" southwest of the "Metroplex" as the DFW area is named, " So many turns, and corner turning" that he got lost and was not sure where he had been or how to tell me where he had been. And thankfully there was a kinsman driving that knew where he was going. And whenever they got close enough there were signs. Cardboard type, garage sale" type, signs everywhere along the many roadways accessable to this place, to point out the correct place they were to go.

We do that in this country due to not having many addresses or curb numbers. We give directions like, "Go to the large barn, you know the red metal one they just built? Then hang a right, then......" People have now begun to put up a sort of "911" emergency number on a small green field that is mostly sold by the Community fire dept. as a fund raiser. These small signs tell the address of people's homes so the ambulance can find them in emergencies. A good thing. There was no other system in place down all these small suburban roadways.

Anyway, having found out about this reunion one day, he had gone at the last moment. So he had not told me about the reunion, believing that I could not have attended, and not having been before himself, and was not really sure if this was one of our "Bunch" bunch! That is to say, there are a lot of Bunch families the we cannot seem to make connection with so as to make sure how they "fit" into ours. It is not a simple thing, due to a lot of lost documents, people changing their names, hiding, disappearing for one reason or another. Lots of tumultuous things have happened in America in its formative years, and especially during and after the Civil War, which was not so Civil as everyone says it was. It was hell on people such as my family, by the way.

Anyway, he told me about this family reunion when I had last visited him. And that the fact was he had fun, and found tons of people he knew or could connect to our family directly. So then one day not long after, I was driving down the road to a town near me, not the County Seat, where I do live. But it was on a specific errand, and I was thinking about doing that, when suddenly I got to thinking about my dad telling me about this family reunion. I wondered why, or what, subconsciously, had sent me to thinking about this in particular that morning. I then thought I was just day-dreaming. And that I had better start paying attention to my driving and my errand or I was going to make a mistake that might cost me. I wondered later what had set me to thinking about this family reunion.

One the way home, I suddenly saw one of those cardboard signs! It had been rained on. The wind had torn at it. But it was there! It was easily read. I was so shocked! It was only three or four miles from my home!

Later when I told my dad, he had no idea he had been that close, nor really where he had been. Not when he was there, and not later. Now that is funny to me.

Later,
Dan
TX

Buy this art! Send me an Email

No comments:

Post a Comment