Saturday, February 26, 2011

My Back Door

"My Back Door"  $230 U.S.
Painted in oil on canvas.

How to Purchase: Buy this art! Send me an Email

Send a cash donation to:
Dan Bunch
2236 Co. Rd. 314
Cleburne, TX
76031

All paintings and artwork are guaranteed! If you are not satisfied you can get all your purchase money back upon the return, (with pryor notification to me), in new condition, of any artwork! No questions asked. (only the shippiing; posting; handling; if any; costs will not be refunded.)

Howdy,

My wife is going to a basketball game today. That reminds me of a story.

Have you ever been surprised? I don't mean, sort of mildly surprised, but "WOW!" doubled?

I am an old man. I can't be surprised by much. I have seen or been exposed to so much over the years that I could hardly be surprised by anything.

Oh, I know some "actor" is found doing "such and such". And that is sooo interesting, and titillating, to the ill-informed, but it is hardly a surprise to me.

For instance I don't believe the TV news local show out of Dallas-Ft. Worth that has a "birthday" guess-along for the famous every once in a while. "How old is this.......(old fart)......actor today! Besides the "who cares" attitude that I am filled with now a days, I know that Actors pay good money for publicists that create a "mystique" and do form a background that must be a huge lie, or else they fail. Part of that lie is the age of the actor! How do you extend the career of any actor? By starting them out at the age of 13 or 14, when actually they are about 20 to 25! That's how.

So now you see that I am not only a pessimist, but a realist-pessimist. So nothing can sneak up on an old war-horse like me that would make me do a "double-take" and say "WOW"! aloud. Not me brother....except.....

One day my wife and I were coming home from the VA hospital, where I had just been poked, punched, radiated, pruned, and gawked at. I was riding on the passenger side half asleep, and eating my favorite food, Gardetto's. I love the stuff. I like to think it is the Iodine I am after, but I doubt that; secretly though. (It was invented to give iodine to the Italian troops during WWII) Anyway, I was just letting my dyslexia loose upon the world, which means that I was reading the billboards and advertising that I saw exposed along the highway. It is sort of a fun thing, when you read signs that get turned around to make absolute non-sense when read by a dyslexic mind that is sort of running on idle. And mine was.

But then all of a sudden! I saw a picture of my Granddaughter! She was smiling down at me from a huge billboard suspended over a viaduct, a railroad track running underneath, and she, or more like her face, was over forty feet high! "WOW!" I said, that's C....!!

The wife turned out on the next exit, then we circled the suburban around to go back and do 'er again. When we got close enough to the hill before the viaduct, we also noticed an exit. We took that one, and pulling up below the billboard, we sat both aghast and giggling like school kids.

I got out my ever handy camera and took a picture. (My wife says not to post it) The billboard was advertising the benefits of the college she was going to further out west, but the billboard was right about three miles north of Waco, which sports a college or two that is not likely to be low on anyone's list of preferable snooty colleges for the well-heeled. And that was the point. It was saying without saying it; "If you can't afford this swanky well known place, we have a campus and a program that is right up there with the best of the best, like here in Waco."

So it was quite a surprise to say the least. How many people get to drive down a road and see an eye-catching billboard showing their Grandchild smiling down at them? She is quite a star among the best of the collage basketball colleges in her league. At the least she makes more than a few scores every game. And that' no brag.

She used to shoot a hundred goals every day, just for practice. Once, having come for a visit, riding with her parents, she forgot to bring a basketball. And there wasn't one at my house. So we had to take her to "Wally World" to buy one. Just so she could shoot one hundred baskets that two day weekend. Now that's dedication.

But no surprise!

Later,
Dan Bunch
TX

No comments:

Post a Comment